Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Review of Magical Running

Magical Running: A Unique Path to Running Fulfillment
by Bobby McGee (Bobbysez Publishing, 2000)

As I stated in my last post, this book was recommended to me and I was a little shocked about how much it caught my interest. It's an easy read, it's real, and I'm sure you will relate to it in some way shape or form.

I am confident most of us could use some work on the mental part of our running. That is one of the main reasons I believe this book captured my attention. While I feel I am getting stronger mentally, I know I have the ability to take myself out of pushing a little bit harder for just a little bit further in certain situations.

I think we all have challenges in our efforts to "train" our minds while we have less trouble in conditioning our bodies. Bobby McGee, Coach, author and motivational speaker believes that the mental component of successful running is as important as the physical. And if you believe that as well, i think you will find Magical Running a good read.

To McGee--best known as Colleen De Reuck's coach--the essence of running well is striving fully in the here-and-now. Setting concrete, measurable goals and working toward them is all well and good, but embracing the process should always be paramount.

McGee backs up his philosophy not only with examples and testimonials from runners he's known and advised--Arturo Barrios, Jacqueline Gareau, Lorraine Moller, and many others--but also with a solid, systematic program of experiential enhancement. These take the form of workbook-style exercises designed to guide the reader step by step, from goal-setting through visualization and other processes, to ultimately achieving success.

McGee presents his case compellingly but with a light touch, never losing sight of the fact that all this is supposed to be fun and health-enhancing. Without demanding that his readers embrace his system as wholeheartedly as his closest followers, he offers enough helpful tips and strategies to inspire even the most disaffected among us.

Magical Running is great read no matter what level you are at.

Enjoy the book and have a great run!

No comments:

Post a Comment